Rules & Regulations
- Minimum age for Chillers is 12 with signed consent from a Parent or guardian.
Prior to participating, all Chillers must:
- Sign a waiver and bring it with them to The Sears Great Canadian Chill at the registration area on event day. An additional signature by a parent or guardian is required for minors under the age of 18
During the event, Chillers must:
- Obey all local laws, regulations, and bylaws
- Comply with the directions of The Chill Officials, local authorities, and property and/or venue owners and managers
- Shoes or appropriate water foot wear must be worn for entry into the water
- There is a risk associated with going into cold water. The temperature of the water and the surrounding environment may be extremely cold
- You should consult your physician prior to engaging in this event
- Individuals who are pregnant, or have poor cardiac functioning, or suffer from a seizure disorder should not participate
- No unauthorized consumption of alcohol will be tolerated. Rembember - alcohol does not warm you up - it accelerates hypothermia
- Do not stay in the water longer than 15 minutes. Body heat is lost 25 times faster in water than in air
- Do not remove your clothing until swim time
- Please leave your dog at home
- Chillers below the age of 18, must swim and stay with an adult
- Chillers are solely responsible for their actions and the consequences of those actions during the event
- The event organizers reserve the right to refuse entry for any reason
- Organizers are not responsible for any lost or stolen items
** Medical Note: Those with known cardiovascular conditions, respiratory conditions and/or Raynaud’s Disease are advised against actually entering the water for their own safety. Anyone who is under the influence of alcohol and/or recreational substances are also discouraged from entering the water.
Should you sustain an injury or become ill/unwell during the event, please immediately notify someone from the event team or make your way to the medical tent. Paramedics will be onsite during the entire time to assist you.
It is imperative that you change out of your wet clothing as soon as you are done in the water. Please remember to pack warm, dry clothing including dry undergarments, dry heavy clothing, dry shoes & socks, and winter accessories (hat, gloves, etc.)
If you don't want to jump in this year, grab a friend and show your support for the Chillers by being a volunteer or a spectator!